Sunday, March 29, 2009

photography quotes


I realized it had been a while since my last post and that it was about time for me to get something new out... but I sat down and was having a bit of writer's block, so I thought I'd just share some photography-related quotes I've been collecting lately.

* "Being a photographer means living your whole life subconsciously considering the light, but there are worse things to be obsessed with." David Noton
* "As the light changes from moment to moment, from day to day, and from season to season, it alters the appearance of the landscape. As a photographer, you should become visually sensitive to this process and be aware of how the landscape is shaped by the light." John Shaw
* "Good composition is merely the strongest way of seeing." Edward Weston
* "At the point of capture, the photographer benefits from the entire scene, not only the light in the landscape but the scene's scale and depth. Only a small portion of the landscape can be included in the viewfinder. My vision of a final image helps me to ensure that the exclusion of the periphery of a scene does not prevent me from conveying what I saw and felt when I was there." Michael James Brown
* "Every successful photograph is a balanced fusion of subject, composition and light." David Ward
* "Luck plays its part in landscape photography. But being in the right place at the right time is not really about luck. If the location itself is spectacular, then the place, to an extent, will do the work. But the good photographer has the determination, skill and sensitivity to make photographic sense of it all, and the sense to witness those wonders when the light is at its most magical." Joe Cornish
* "The question could be posed: 'Why photograph?' This gives rise to huge debate but, essentially, the impulse that leads one to make a landscape image perhaps amounts to no more than a simple wish to please oneself. For there can be no doubt that the image-making process draws us into the essence of things." Charlie Waite
* "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust

No comments: