Sunday, March 8, 2009

my wide angle denver photowalk


date of activity: 3/7/09

I went into Denver yesterday to try out my new Canon 10-22mm lens. I’ve seen some interesting cityscapes & architectural shots taken with this wide angle lens (on different Flickr groups), so that’s why I decided to head into the big city for the lens’ initial outing.

I got a book from the library called Getting To Know Denver by Francis J Pierson, and used it to cobble together my own photowalk through the Mile High City. There were several places on my itinerary that I didn’t get to, but after three+ hours of walking around & shooting, I was starting to get tired and I’m always kinda stressed in the city anyway, so I decided to head back to the car without hitting the last few locations.

The spots I did get to, in order, are:
*Millenium Bridge
*Union Station
*St Cajetan Church
*D&F Tower
*Federal Courthouse
*Holy Ghost Church & 1999 Broadway
*Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church
*17th & Broadway
*Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
*State Capitol Building
*Denver Art Museum & Denver Public Library

And I have to laugh because while I was making my way around the city on my little photowalk, I was asked on three different occasions if I would use someone’s camera to take their photo. Each time, it was with some variation of, “You look like you know what you’re doing.” I tell ya, all you have to do is carry around a tripod and people think you’re Ansel freakin’ Adams! (I wish.)

I’m glad I did the photowalk in Denver as the first outing with my new lens, but I just don’t get cities. I’ve been in my share of big cities, and as far as urban craziness, Denver is admittedly pretty mild… but still, I’d much rather be up in the mountains than walking around a city any day. Being in the city absolutely drains me, while being out on a trail somewhere makes my spirit come alive. Soooo… I think it’s pretty safe to say that the next time I take my new lens out & about, there’s probably not going to be a building in sight in any of the photos I bring back :-)

Thanks for reading about stuff I’ve photographed. ~Rich

1 comment:

ang klocke said...

"I was asked on three different occasions if I would use someone’s camera to take their photo."

Every single time we're at Garden of the Gods, I get this. I don't mind, but half the time, I have no idea how to use the person's camera. I just want to say, "Do you have e-mail? Good. I'll take your picture with MY camera and e-mail it to you." LOL!