Wednesday, March 18, 2009

look more, shoot less


While driving up to Rocky Mountain National Park this past Saturday afternoon, I decided I’d only take ten photos during my visit to the park. Usually I return from an outing and I’ve filled the memory card with shot after shot. And most, many, the vast vast majority, just get deleted. Once I get them open on the computer, I cringe, wondering what on earth I was thinking. So on Saturday, I decided to look more & shoot less.

I used two of my self-imposed limit of ten before I even entered the park. As I drove down into Estes Park, I saw the Stanley Hotel sitting over to the right and thought, “Hey, how’s come you’ve never photographed the Stanley???” Two shots from two different viewpoints later, and I only had eight shots left for the park.



Once I entered the park, I drove up to Bear Lake and took two shots there. The light was all wrong in both shots, and I knew that even when I was there, so I don’t know why I took them. Grrrr. Delete. Six shots left.

I drove back down to Moraine Park and parked along the road to the campground. I’d never really explored this, the western end of the spacious meadow. I wandered around for quite a while along the banks of the Big Thompson River, exploring different compositions. I would’ve liked to take a photo looking west, including the peaks of the Continental Divide up beyond the end of the valley… but the position of the sun late in the day made the light all wrong (I’d learned my lesson up at Bear Lake!). I ended-up taking four shots (vertical & horizontal compositions) of the scene you see at the top of the post. The reddish rocks attracted me to the spot, as did the s-curve in the stream. At first, I had the camera set up very low, at knee-level, but belatedly realized that viewpoint was below the raised bank of the river and therefore cut off any view of the vast expanse of the meadow (you just saw the rocks, the stream, and then the wooded hills in the far far distance). To better the composition, and to fully utilize the incredible depth of field of the 10-22mm wide angle lens, I raised the camera up so the composition would include the rocks at my feet, the stream, the meadow beyond, and the hills in the background.

The vertical composition that you see here is my favorite image from that spot. It nicely channels your eyes up into the photo (rocks, stream, meadow, hills). The horizontal composition is also pleasing to the eye; it allows your eyes to roam from side to side and in that way conveys a sense of the vast expanse of the meadow.
On the way back to the Mini I used my last two shots (horizontal & vertical compositions) on a lone tree I’d seen up on a hill when I’d first drove back the road and parked. I set up the shot with the bright ball of the setting sun directly behind the tree (and the camera in the shadow of the trunk), intensely backlighting the branches. What can I say? I like trees!

And that was my ten shots. It turned out to be an interesting experiment. It really forced me to look around more & think about each composition. I “wasted” a few shots, but learned something even from those ones, so they weren’t really wasted efforts. I’m very happy with the photo of the stream at the top of the post, especially since I doubt I would’ve even discovered that spot if I hadn’t set out to look more & shoot less.

Thanks for reading about stuff I’ve photographed. ~Rich

2 comments:

ang klocke said...

Interesting experiment indeed! I don't know if I could do it.

Admin said...

Wonderful experiment and insightful post. Indeed, learning to slow down and really think about the image in front of you is one of the more difficult things to do, especially in this age of immediacy and digital capture.

On a sidenote, I shoot film with a medium format camera (6x7) - so I only get 10 shots per roll of 120 film. Given that limitation alone forces one to slow down and carefully think about each shot before pressing the shutter.