Monday, May 31, 2010

sprague lake nature trail


While my parents were out here for a visit, I took them up to Sprague Lake (8700 feet) in Rocky Mountain National Park. Sprague is a very popular spot due to its easily accessible location just off Bear Lake Road and the splendid view of the Continental Divide from its eastern shore.

The Sprague Lake Nature Trail is a level, ½ mile path that circles the lake. Although I had previously been to the lake probably half a dozen times, I have to admit that last week with my parents was the first time I’d hiked the whole way around the lake. On each of my previous visits, I’d just leave the parking lot, head around the lake over to the eastern shore by the small stream & observation deck, take my photos, & then skeedaddle. But I’m glad we did the entire loop last Thursday since there are also some juicy views of Hallett & the other peaks from farther around the trail. The photo of my parents at the top of this post is from a vantage point at the extreme eastern tip of the lake, the farthest point on the trail from the parking lot.

We were there late morning, so not the best time of day to be taking photos, & there was just enough breeze rippling the water to frustrate any good reflection shots, & there was ugly, gray overcast smeared across the sky above the snow-capped peaks, but I kept reminding myself that I wasn’t making this visit for photographic purposes, but rather to share one of my favorite places with my parents. Sprague Lake and Bear Lake (where I took my parents last summer) are both ideal spots in Rocky Mountain National Park to take folks who are visiting from lower altitudes and who aren’t up to longer hikes. Both sites feature level, well-maintained paths that circle picturesque lakes with incredible views of surrounding peaks. The entire trail at Sprague also has the added benefit of being wheelchair-accessible.

For landscape photographers, Sprague is definitely a morning location. At sunrise, the mountain peaks of the Continental Divide, photographed from the eastern shore of the lake, can light up with some fantastic alpenglow if conditions are right. Although I’ve spent some lovely mornings at Sprague, I’ve never been able to get a really nice reflection there, so that particular shot is still on my RMNP photo wish list. I’m not sure any of my future trips to this great lake can top last week, though… because even though that visit to Sprague with my mom & dad wasn’t ‘officially’ for photographic purposes, that shot I got of them on the bench is one of the most special images I’ve ever captured & is a photo I’ll always treasure.


Thanks for reading about stuff I’ve photographed. ~ Rich

No comments: